Sister Woodfield

Sister Woodfield

Monday, September 16, 2013

Raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!!



In my cool rain jacket! but in front of a sad spot- somebody's house flooded :(






Redhead Court...maybe I should live on this street! :)









Hello from the extremely wet state of Colorado! Haha, what a crazy amount of rain we have received this week. My goodness, my rain jacket and umbrellas have been put to VERY good use. :) Last Monday it started raining while a bunch of missionaries were hanging out at the Stake Center for Pday (after we went ice skating which was super fun!). When it started raining we were all so happy and many of us went out and played in the rain for a while. :) We had no idea what was in store for us. It rained Monday, and Tuesday, and Wednesday. And Thursday. And Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday. ANDDDDDD I think it is finally done today!

We have received so much rain that on Friday we were basically an island and couldn't go anywhere because all of the roads were closed! Church was even canceled yesterday! Crazy! Five minutes before Sacrament meeting was supposed to start Bishop Padilla announced for everyone to go home and be safe. Our ward covers a large area so many people have to go over a lot of dirt roads and such. One area in our ward that has been really impacted by all of this is Milliken. There is a trailer park within that area that has been evacuated. It was all flooded by sewage water. Anything the water has touched is now contaminated and is no good. A LOT of people have recently lost basically everything.

Sister Christensen and I have had the amazing opportunity to serve in the Milliken Middle School the past few days. It had been turned into a shelter. Lots of people have been sleeping in the gym and living off of the many donations we have received. It has really touched my heart! So many good GOOD people!!! What a hard time they are going through! It really puts everything into perspective- the physical and temporal things can really be gone in an instant! The spiritual things really are what matter most and are what will stay with you!

The Lord has also given me another amazing opportunity with Spanish! Many of the people we have been with speak mostly Spanish or only Spanish. I have been able to have a lot of amazing conversations with people and help them with their needs. I think it surprises them and makes them happy to have me speak some Spanish with them. I have received multiple compliments! Hahahaha, I know they are all being super nice and speaking very slowly and simply for me. But what an amazing thing to be able to overcome the language barrier even a little bit!!! I know the Lord has put me here for a reason and that the Gift of Tongues is real!

I have become pretty close with some of these good people over the past few days and I have been called their "amiga". :D So many of them have such great faith and attitudes! I have heard from multiple people that God is watching over them and is helping them! One woman talked to me about Job from the Bible and how he lost everything and God blessed him. Another is a preacher in another church and we talked about doing God's will.

I know the Lord has had his hand in everything this past week! I know this has been a great opportunity to serve for soooo many people! Many hearts have been softened towards the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Many. :) I wish I could write more but we have less time today! I am alive and well! And dry...for now. :) Haha, I love you all! You are in my prayers! Thanks for all of the love and support!

Love,
Hermana Lindsey Woodfield



Note from Lindsey's parents:

We are very grateful for the good people in Johnstown who are looking out for the safety and health of Lindsey. We received a well timed call last night from Sister Cooper of the Johnstown Ward informing us that Lindsey is safe and working hard among those impacted by the flooding. Today we received the following email from another ward member:


Sister Woodfield is one amazing sister! It has been an honor working with her at the shelter here at the Milliken middle school. She has such a sweetness about her that has helped lift the overall feeling here. Not to mention, being able to translate and communicate with members of our community. We are so thankful that she has been sent to our area at this time.

Love, Sister Hollie Traylor
Johnstown Ward and Milliken resident

No comments:

Post a Comment